Peacock bass is a prized and sought-after game fish. It can easily grow up to 1 meter in length and achieve a weight of up to 29 lb. So you can bet that this beautiful tropical fish demands a lure that is better than average. In my crusade to find the best lures for peacock bass, I experimented with more lures than you could imagine.
As an avid enthusiast in the realm of fishing, I am excited to share this post with all my fishing comrades—this ultimate guide for the best bait for peacock bass results from my experiment over the last summer.
I hope you find this useful. Let us get started.
Best lures for peacock bass
- Heddon Zara Spook Lure – (Editor’s Choice)
- TRUSCEND Fishing Lures Paddle Tail Swimbaits – (Best Reviews)
- Kmucutie White Color Bucktail Jig – (Best product for the money)
- Borboleta Perversa Subsurface Twitch Bait
- TRUSCEND Multi Jointed Swimbaits
- DOA Terroreyz
Keep reading for my detailed review!
Heddon Zara Spook Lure
As any seasoned angler will attest to it, using a topwater lure is a fantastic way to reel in the largest peacock bass. Some of the most massive peacock basses have hit home while using this type of lure.
This classic lure from Heddon makes the best bait for peacock bass for two reasons:
- One, the bait comes with a double hook design. Both the hooks are six-treble hooks. This ensures that your catch will be firmly hooked with no way to escape.
- Two, the clever designs on the lure imitates the undersides of frogs and fishes, which is a favorite of peacock bass.
However, if it is the quantity of fish that you are after, a topwater lure is not for you. It is because less than 5% of peacock bass prefer feeding on top. Nevertheless, if your dream is to land one of the largest peacock basses, I recommend it wholeheartedly.
- Classic walk-the-dog lure design
- Double hook design for maximum security
- It measures 4.5 inches in length and weighs about 13 gm
- Treble hooks
- Different model with smaller specifications are also available
- Double hook design
- Sturdy and reliable construction
- Comes in seventeen different colors
- Ideal for lightweight to medium test lines
- Works for pikes and trouts as well
- Some units have durability issues
- There is no rattle on the lure
What other costumers say about Heddon Zara Spook Lure.
The Heddon Zara Spook Lure has excellent reviews on Amazon. A satisfied customer says that the “fish likes this bait almost too much,” while another calls it a “fantastic lure.”
Another verified customer recalled making the biggest catch of this life with this lure. Similarly, another happy buyer called this lure brilliant and recommended it to other anglers.
Best price and deals!
TRUSCEND Fishing Lures Paddle Tail Swimbaits
When the TRUSCEND Fishing Lures was brought to my attention by a fishing buddy, I had mixed feelings about it. I knew my buddy, who is an experienced angler, would not steer me wrong, and the realistic design also took my fancy. On the other hand, the paddle tail on the lures was quite gimmicky. Nevertheless, I decided to try it.
For one, the design and the overall aesthetic of the fish lure are fantastic. However, that was not all. The bait has a two-toned injection process and a 3D paddle tail, which adds to the bait’s overall charm.
The high carbon steel hooks are robust and reliable. The built-in magnet facilitates the effectiveness of the hook while protecting it as well. In addition, the 3D paddle blew me away. It flicks and kicks similar to a live fish, which was a motion that my target couldn’t resist – in this case, a medium-sized peacock bass.
- High carbon steel hooks
- Organic and biodegradable plastic
- 3D paddle tail
- A soft body that is precisely engineered to imitate a live bait
- A built-in magnet that keeps the hooks in place
- Streamlined body for increased motion
- Strong and durable hooks
- Biodegradable components
- Comes in a set of five lures
- International shipping may not be available
What other costumers say about TRUSCEND Fishing Lures Paddle Tail Swimbaits.
A couple of verified customers on Amazon praised its “high-quality” and “awesome action.” Another customer mentions that the fishes love this lure while another says he loves the magnet on the lures.
A delighted customer from the US raves about the “exquisite workmanship” and the “strong handle.” The same customer also talks about the lure’s “high-quality.”
Best price and deals!
Kmucutie White Color Bucktail Jig
Bucktail jigs are a fantastic choice for enticing a peacock bass. These majestic fishes will rarely remain idle, but they are also very picky about their food. After many hours of dangling your fishing line without success, this can be frustrating. The solution? Dangle one of these bucktail jigs in front of their noses, and they will get into action.
This white color bucktail jig is a great pick. It comes with a stainless steel hook and a lead head that glows in the water. In my experience, a white or a pink bucktail jig dangling in front of their faces is something that few peacock basses can resist!
A feature that I like the most about this jig is that the eye on the head that brings the jig alive. Another notable feature is the hand-tied bucktail skirt that helps to maintain a natural pulsing motion.
Learn how to use a jig like a pro here.
- Corrosion-resistant hooks, suitable for saltwater use
- A luminous lead head that glows in the water
- White body with 3D eye
- Hand-tied bucktail skirt with natural material
- Glides effortlessly in the water
- Come in a set of 12 lures
- Stainless steel hook that is corrosion resistant
- A 3D eye for a realistic look
- Very affordable
- Some of the hair on the jig tends to fall out
What other costumers say about kmucutie White Color Bucktail Jig.
A good number of satisfied customers on Amazon mention the excellent quality of this bucktail jig. Similarly, a number of verified customers say that it is comparable to expensive ones that are available in tackle stores.
Another verified customer from the US says that this jig has hooks that hold up really well. The same reviewer is of the opinion that you will not regret buying this one.
Best price and deals!
Borboleta Perversa Subsurface Twitch Bait
During my trip to Brazil last summer, this peacock bait was all the rage. Along with the locals, the anglers from abroad were trying their hands on it. Of course, I had to try out this lure hailed as the next best bait for peacock bass.
This minimalist looking bait is quite a champion at deception. It doesn’t look much of a performer, but with short quick jerks, it moves uncontrollably much like a wounded live bait. In addition to side-to-side movements, it can also perform rolls like a fish, which was impressive.
The Perversa subsurface lure is made in Brazil and is relatively new on the market. So, there is not a lot of hype surrounding it outside the country. However, if you are a keen angler and want to join the elite who have tried one of the best lures for peacock bass, you need to check this out.
- The Perversa is four inches in length
- Dual hook design
- It measures 21 gm in weight
- Bone color with red eyes
- Sturdy construction
- Ideal for substrate bass fishing
- Imitates a live bait
- Bit pricey
What other costumers say about Borboleta Perversa Subsurface Twitch Bait.
On Amazon, one of its verified customers calls the Perversa excellent and tough. The same review also recommends it as the ideal lure for peacock bass fishing in the Amazon.
Another customer says that the Perversa is a good quality lure and that it is easy to store.
Best price and deals!
TRUSCEND Multi Jointed Swimbaits
For some reason, this bait kit for bass looks more like a toy to me. However, their performance in the water was a pleasant surprise, and I had to include it on my list of the best lures for peacock bass.
The body of this bait consists of eight segments. This works in two ways to help you reel in a good catch. It maintains an S-shape irrespective of its speed, which attracts the prey. It also remains flexible in the water. I was able to catch a massive peacock bass during my trip to the Amazon using this one and it has become one the best lures for peacock bass in my arsenal.
These swimbaits also comes with a pair of treble hooks, so you know they are reliable and durable. Even after repeated use, they didn’t decrease in sharpness or appearance, which is always a sign of quality.
- Segmented body for a lifelike bait
- Flexible S-shaped outline of the body
- ABS plastic construction along with a mesh-woven fabric
- 2 treble hooks suitable for both saltwater and freshwater
- 3D printing on the body of the baits
- Baits measure 5.5 inches in length and 26 gm in weight
- Sharp and reliable hooks
- Movements imitate a live bait
- Available in a wide range of combinations
- Suitable for bass, pike, and perch among others
- The coating on the body rubs off after use
What other costumers say about TRUSCEND Multi Jointed Swimbaits.
On Amazon, the TRUSCEND Multi Jointed Swimbaits has stellar reviews. A delighted customer calls this lure a “definite necessity for every tacklebox.” While this alone should catch your fancy, there are many stellar reviews as well.
Another verified customer praises its “solid action,” while another highly recommends it. Others praised its realistic designs while another says it has good movement in the water.
Best price and deals!
If you know anything about peacock bass, you know that they have a weakness for jigs. This jig from DOA doesn’t look like its much. However, as with everything that concerns water, appearances can be deceptive.
One of the reasons I love this jig is that it works perfectly in all types of water. In deeper waters, such as the Amazon and even some places in Florida, there are deep waters where sighting a peacock bass is a struggle. However, your luck quickly changes if you just keep popping these types of jigs.
Another feature that is quite unique to this jig is its holographic eye. It reflects the light, which seems to work magic on the passing fish. This is a feature that you will love or hate, but your prey will surely love it.
The beauty of peacock bass fishing with jigs is that these beautiful fishes don’t give up. Even after they know that there is a hook, they will strike repeatedly. So if you don’t land a dream catch at one go, just keep going.
- A holographic eye that shoots out reflected light and draws the fish
- Has a lead head that is snag-proof
- Vinyl plastic body which is soft yet strong and durable
- Plastic makes the nose bounce off the rocks, so it doesn’t get damaged easily
- Sharp and sturdy hook
- Excellent design components
- A holographic eye that attracts the fish
- Soft but durable bait
- Affordable pricing
- Not readily available
- Comes with a single hook on delivery
What other costumers say about DOA Terroreyz.
A lot of customers have to say nothing but good things about the DOA Terroreyz jig. A verified customer from the US calls it in an “imminent threat” underwater while another calls it “outstanding.”
Other customers talk about the durability of this bait. Other customers on the platform also mention this lure is perfect for inland fishing.
Best price and deals!
Frequently Asked Questions About Peacock Bass Fishing
What is the required gear for peacock bass fishing?
Anglers who are peacock bass fishing for the first time can get carried away by all the gear that you think you need. Peacock bass is an aggressive and quick fish, which means you need heavy equipment, right?
In reality, this is not the case. Peacock bass fishing demands constant lure casting and executing fast movements. This can be exhausting.
Therefore, the ideal gear for peacock bass fishing would look something like this:
- Ideal tackle weight – 14 to 56 gm
- Up to 3 reliable rods
- Different types of best lures for peacock bass both topwater and deep waters
In addition to your fishing gear, you also need the essentials. Most fishing companies will provide their clients with a fishing package, including clothing and medications. However, you can also pack your own if you plan do to a fishing trip by boat, especially when it comes vests.
Where are the best locations for peacock bass fishing?
The Amazon in Brazil, particularly the lowlands, is undeniably a top choice for peacock bass fishing. Apart from all the other treasure this enormous forest holds, it is also home to the best and largest peacock bass on the planet. There are many tributaries, including Branco and Maderia, which offer excellent fishing opportunities for the better part of the year.
Outside this fantastic rainforests, Florida in the United States also has some great places for peacock bass fishing. Some of these places include Miami Airport Lakes, Lake Ida, and Canals of Broward, among others. However, you will have more luck with butterfly peacock bass in this part of the world.
What is the best time/season for peacock bass fishing?
In the Amazon basin, the best time for peacock bass fishing is from March all the way up to August. However, you need to understand that the weather in Amazon can change throughout the day. So you need to be well prepared, both in terms of gear and your body.
You might also want to know that the period beginning from March up to early June is not recommended for amateur anglers. It is because the water in the rivers can rise to 10 meters, which can pose a danger. In this case, the dry season beginning from June to October is your best bet for peacock bass fishing.
In Florida, the weather remains mild to warm throughout the year. Since peacock bass loves the warmer weather conditions, you can pretty much fish throughout the year. However, if you are looking for the optimal time, the period from March to May is fantastic.
Any tips for catching a peacock bass?
Here are my top tips for landing a peacock bass:
- Peacock bass feeds during the daytime, so you have the best chance of catching a prize during the day.
- Always have a couple of top lures ready. Peacock bass loves to take a shot at top lures. Moreover, they also like to make a splash at the top like no other fish.
- Refrain from setting the hook too early. Peacock bass is known to slap the bait as if to test it. Then they will come back a second time grab it.
- Peacock bass can be aggressive and very powerful, especially if it is on the larger size. Therefore, never attempt to horse it as it can land you in trouble.
Want more tips about fishing lures? Visit this link.